Kit Converted Vehicles

A kit-converted vehicle has a kit of new parts added to an existing vehicle, or old parts added to a new kit. The general appearance of the vehicle will change because of the kit.

V55/5 Simple Guide

This will be subject to the DVLA ‘points’ system to define the type of VIN and registration that will apply.

You must follow all the instructions for registering a new vehicle.

You’ll need to include the following with your application:

Form V627/1 - ‘Built up vehicle inspection report’

The vehicle registration certificate for the original vehicle

Evidence of type approval, if necessary

Official receipts for any parts used

Build plans

Photographs of the vehicle

Send your application to:

K and R
SA99 1ZZ

Keep a vehicle’s original registration number

Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.

  • Major Component

  • Points

  • Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer)

  • 5

  • Suspension (front and back) - original

  • 2

  • Axles (both) - original

  • 2

  • Transmission - original

  • 2

  • Steering assembly - original

  • 2

  • Engine - original

  • 1

Get an age-related registration number

You can apply for an age-related number if you can prove you’ve used 2 original major parts along with:

A new monocoque bodyshell, chassis or frame from a specialist kit manufacturer

An altered chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame from the original vehicle

The registration number will be based on the age of the original vehicle.

Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get an age-related registration number.

Get a Q registration number

DVLA will give your vehicle a ‘Q’ prefix registration number if you do not meet the conditions for getting an original or age-related registration number.

Your vehicle must pass the relevant type approval test to get a Q registration number.

Vehicles with a Certificate of Destruction (CoD) must never reappear as complete vehicles or be presented for registration, though some components may be recycled. You cannot keep the original registration or vehicle identification number.